Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
The following are instructions which must be followed prior to having oral surgical procedures performed under sedation or anesthesia:
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, 6 hours prior to your appointment (except for medicines, which can be taken with a small sip of water ). If your appointment is the first thing in the morning, do not eat or drink anything past midnight.
- All patients with a history of asthma must bring their inhaler to the appointment.
- An adult driver must accompany you and drive you home after the procedure.
- Notify the doctor if you have a cold, sore throat, or other illness prior to procedure.
- Prior to the procedure, remove dentures, contact lenses and nail polish.
- Wear comfortable clothes, loose arm sleeves or short sleeves with flat shoes.
- After the procedure, you should not drive or operate machinery until the following day.
- The day of surgery, someone should be with you to assist you and to help prevent falls.